Diversity Hiring Coalition
The Diversity Hiring Coalition of Maine
We provide leadership, connections, education and resources to Maine employers
to promote diversity in the workplace
- Aging Workforce: To provide resources and education to organizations to bridge the generational divide in the work place
- Racial and Ethnic Diversity: To provide education, resources, and networking opportunities to attract, retain and promote racial and ethnically diverse talent in Southern and Central Maine.
- LGBTQ community: To promote and support workplace cultures where all people are welcomed, respected, and made to feel safe, as their authentic self, inclusive of one’s sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression
Our Next Meeting...
Our next meeting will be August 30, 2016. We will have Dr. Alex Roan providing the professional development. Alex Roan, Ph.D., LCPC is a clinical mental health counselor in private practice in Portland and an adjunct professor in the psychology department at SMCC. He was the founder of Maine Transgender Network (MaineTransNet) and currently serves on MTN's board of directors. As a therapist, peer support group facilitator, and member of the trans community, Alex has had the privilege of hearing the stories, the struggles, and the triumphs of over 100 transgender individuals throughout the state and is passionate about raising awareness of trans issues in Maine in order to increase acceptance and affirmation of trans lives and experiences.
Dr. Roan presentation will be: Advocating for Transgender Employees in the Workplace
For many transgender individuals in Maine, navigating the workplace is one of the most difficult aspects of coming out, due to overt or more subtle forms of discrimination, or fear of possible repercussions, even in the most accepting workplace environments. In this presentation, let's discuss some of the challenges faced by transgender employees and job-seekers in Maine, strategies to overcome these obstacles, and tips for advocating on behalf of your trans employees to address (or ideally, prevent!) possible issues that may emerge with coworkers or supervisors/administrators.
Please contact the DHC if you are an HR Professional who is interested in attending.
DHC Networking Advantages
- Forum to promote employment opportunities
- Access to resumes of diverse candidates
- Collaborative minority outreach
- Networking with other human resource professionals
- Information about diversity and multi-cultural resources and events
- Professional development opportunities
DHC Partners Include
The Diversity Hiring Coalition of Maine is a partnership of public and private sector employers. Our members are:
- Human Resource Managers
- Recruitment Specialists
- EEO/Diversity Officers Officers
- Hiring Agents
- Placement Personnel
Did you know the DHC has a book club each year?
We do!! And we have beeen blessed to have the author visit our group each December to be involved in our discussion. This year we are reading Becoming Nicole: The Extraordinary Transformation of an Ordinary Family.
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • A NEW YORK TIMES NOTABLE BOOK • NAMED ONE OF THE TEN BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY PEOPLE AND ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BYMEN’S JOURNAL • A STONEWALL HONOR BOOK IN NONFICTION • FINALIST FOR THE LAMBDA LITERARY AWARD FOR TRANSGENDER NONFICTION
Some of our past books were: